Why you need a gas safe registered engineer when getting a new boiler

Why you need a gas safe registered engineer when getting a new boiler

It’s important to make this clear. Gas appliances can be dangerous and that’s why professionals are needed to install and maintain them, so here’s a quick breakdown of why you need a gas safe registered engineer when it comes to getting a new boiler…

What is the Gas Safe register?

The Gas Safe Register is the official registration scheme in the United Kingdom for engineers dealing with gas appliances. Previous to this, CORGI was the the organisation that was the official registration scheme but this hasn’t been the case since 2009. There are over 125,000 registered trades.

Gas Safe aims to educate professionals to make sure they are up to date with the latest regulations so that all work that is carried out is safe for homeowners. In short, it allows for a better standard of installer and aims to give homeowners peace of mind that regardless of who they contact, they are going to get a qualified trade.

They also carry out inspections of work and will follow up on any reports that an appliance or boiler that they have worked on is not safe.

Why do you need a Gas Safe registered engineer when getting a new boiler?

In short, to help keep you and your family safe. We cannot stress enough that only a Gas Safe registered engineer should install or maintain any kind of appliance that handles or makes use of gas and for good reason.

Gas can be lethal and it’s important to make sure that your home is safe because it isn’t just you that you have to think about, especially if you live in inner city areas. According to uSwitch, there has been over 31 deaths over the last few years and more than 1000 reported cases of injury due to carbon monoxide poisoning. It’s known as ‘the silent killer’ because it is odourless, colourless and invisible to the naked eye.

The best way to prevent any danger is to have annual check-ups from Gas Safe engineers who can advise you on what is best to keep your home safe and if you should look into replacing existing appliances such as cookers or pipework around the house.

From there, they can tell you what kind of boiler type is right for your home. For example, a combi boiler may not be the best choice for a large home or family as it cannot deliver consistent heat to more than one tap at a time without seeing a dip in water pressure. They can also advise you on what you can do to get the most out of what you already have, meaning you can make sure you can get the heat you need as well as save money in the long run.

Where can I find a Gas Safe Engineer?

You can go to the Gas Safe register online here and find local engineers that will be more than happy to answer any questions that you might have. If you know an engineer already, but aren't sure if they are gas safe, don’t be afraid to ask as any professional trade will be more than happy to show you that they are.

Need a new boiler in the Solihull area?

If you have any questions about what boiler type is right for you or already have a good idea and need a Gas Safe engineer to install one for you, get in contact with us on 07826 924452 or fill in the contact form here on our website.